Monday, March 29, 2010

Luscious Lemonade Pie...

One of my weekend "To Do" list items was making dinner for the family that would receive this month's (March) "Thank-You" meal (I believe I shared this idea in a previous post). As I was working on the menu - I ran into a minor hick-up. The meal had an Italian flare, and for some reason I was having a hard time coming up with a dessert. The family is not at all picky, and I have core menus/dishes that I use for Meg's Meal Ministry; therefore, this should have been a fairly easy task - but nothing was saying, "that will work!". So I went to the shelves of cookbooks.

The recipe had to meet a few criteria - in addition to going with the theme of the dinner...1) it had to be economically friendly - desserts can get pricey at times; 2) it had to be some what easy from beginning to end - I didn't want to spend my entire afternoon in the kitchen, as I needed to get a couple of other things accomplished; and 3) it had to transport easily. The family would be "picking-up" their dinner at a mutual location, so I wanted to make sure it could transport easily - both from Villa de Megalicious to their home. I soon came across a favorite of mine (both taste and preparation)...Lemonade Pie. It's super easy (only four ingredients - excluding the pie crust), it's rather economical and it transports almost too nicely! It met all the criteria, and lemon is always a nice addition to Italian - or so I think, anyway.

I planned to go to the store Sunday after church, and return home to pre-make the meal for delivery to the "pick-up" location. However, my plans didn't work out exactly as I had originally thought...so I ended up preparing the entire meal at IBC before a couple of meetings. This meant I could possibly have creepers in the kitchen - and I did. When making the dessert, several said (paraphrasing here) "Oh, Mmm, what is that?", "Lemonade Pie!", "Oh that looks very yummy!". And boy are they right - not only does it look and smell yummy...IT IS yummy!!! Even my extremely picky niece (not judging because I'm the same way) loves it!

So I thought I'd share this treasure of deliciousness with each of you. I mean why would I not want to share this lemony goodness with friends! :)

Luscious Lemonade Pie...
1 can frozen lemonade
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
2 (or so) drops of yellow food coloring
8 oz. container of whipped topping
9-inch graham cracker pie crust (Ready-Made or homemade crust - works just the same)

Mix together the lemonade and milk. Add food coloring for a lemony color (fyi - if you desire not use food coloring, your finished product will be a white, milky color...but will taste just the same). Fold in whipped topping, and pour into crust. Refrigerate a few hours or overnight. Enjoy!

(from Gooseberry Patch "The Cozy Home Cookbook")

Alternative Methods of Serving:
  • Serve between Vanilla Wafers - to make little Lemonade Sandwich Cookies
  • Serve as a dessert dip with graham crackers, graham cracker sticks or vanilla wafers
  • Fill individual serving size graham cracker pie crusts

No comments: