Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Music...

Music has a unique ministry with me - as it does some of you. There are times when songs bring a smile to my face and allow me to celebrate, at times tears to my eyes as I mourn or grieve, and often songs that bring peace and comfort to my spirit. When I get a song in my mind - it stays there and it won't quickly leave. I think about it over the course of the day and sing it multiple times in my mind - sometimes out loud and some times I even start to hum it. Well today was music day - as soon as I woke up I needed the ministry that music brings to me to come and minister today. As many Christians in America - I woke up this morning with a very heavy heart. The outcome that I wanted and prayed for, didn't occur. The votes were in and my guy didn't win. Fear filled my mind. Anger quickly took hold. My heart was heavy and I did the only thing I could do - I went right to the Father, and laid it down at His feet. As a Christian I have the right to be angry, but I needed to watch my temper, my words, the way I carried myself and my attitude - I needed to reflect Christ in my disappointment. Talk about hard! But as I was getting ready and hearing the media praise Barack Obama, I began to get more and more upset. I looked at myself in the mirror and I had to decide right then and there that I was not going to allow Satan to enjoy my anger or fear. I was not going to let him have control of my attitude and risk losing my testimony with co-workers - instead of taking the opportunity to be a testimony. "So many watching, so much at stake." It just rang over and over and over in my mind. So as I often do when I need to release pent up emotions I started to sing. The first song that came to mind was Amy Grant's song "God is in Control" - that was a great reminder. Then it turned more into a plea session with God as the old Hymn put it..."oh Lord Jesus, how long? How long? Ere we shout the glad song...Christ Returnth". As humans life gets hard and we are instantly ready for the Lord to return right then. Then it was the childhood song of "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine. This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine. Won't let Satan blow it out - I'm gonna let it shine." Back and forth all day long these songs were filling my mind as I heard stories on the radio, read Facebook postings, read e-mails and stories on the Internet. I finally had to just stop listening, reading and talking about it. But the songs gave me peace, gave me assurance, and kept me in check. Then tonight at church we song the great hymn "How Firm a Foundation". As I song the words - peace was falling on me, and I realized that this morning I didn't totally lay it at the Father's feet, so by the conclusion of the song, my burden and pain about last night was resting at my Savior's feet. I realized (again) that He is in control, He is my firm foundation, He is going to return (in His time, not mine) and until then I need to let my light shine - allowing no one or thing to blow it out.

Thank you Lord, for the gift of music!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Megan,
Thank you for that reminder!!!! I just finished posting something on my blog that was another post about how discouraged I was with my weight loss. Your line about not allowing satan to enjoy your frustration (or something like that) was a real eye-opener.

God Bless,
Karen

gretchen said...

Megan....I didn't know you had a blog? Good to know. ;)

I love music as well and God has used it many times to pierce my heart and change my thinking when other things weren't seeming to work.

I hope you light is shining bright--you are a Child of the King and have kingdom work to do regardless of who is the President. ;)

SEe you soon.

Meg said...

Thanks for the comment and encouragement.

I'm very new to the blogging world. But, I'm enjoying it so far.

I do have much Kingdom work to get done, and God shows me all the time more that needs done. PRAISE- I've been able to use the Election results to witness to co-workers that I have little contact with daily! Converations around the office last week were very interesting and opened several doors! PTL!!!

Looking forward to seeing you guys in a few weeks!