Thursday, November 20, 2008

Jenni...

Jennifer Dawn Thornton
was born on November 20, 1977 to David and Carol Thornton.

She was their forth child and their second daughter. Right from the start she was on her very own time schedule, as she arrived two months early...yes I said early. That was the first and last time that she would be early! I personally don't remember a time in my life that she wasn't there - as I was only 18 months old when she entered my world. As little girls we shared pretty much everything - toys, clothes, bedrooms - if it could be shared, we shared - and this is where our foundation began. As little girls turned into teenagers the sharing continued, but it was more about life stuff - crushes, fears, plans, dreams, etc. As adult women we continue to share pretty much everything - there are only a few secrets between the two of us, and those secrets are just things you aren't supposed share. When I think of Jenni, I think of the saying...."God made us sisters, and love made us friends." Jenni is my BFF . She has seen me happy, silly goofy, and angry - and she continues to love me anyway. And the same is true for me with her.

As I look back on the last 31 years - I realize that Jenni and I have always been kind of the same, yet very much the opposite.


  1. Jenni has the dark straight hair, while I had the blond curls (or Mad Curl disease - as I lovingly describe it!).
  2. Jenni's features and skin tone are more Asian/American Indian like. Her eyes are slanted and almond shaped. One of the little girls she babysat while in college asked her if she was Mulan. But I think those features are what make her so beautiful.
  3. Jenni has always been much smarter than I am when it comes to book smarts - while I was given the common sense and directional smarts. Jenni can administer chemotherapy to a small child with one hand, while writing a prescription in another, all while rattling off treatment options and their side effects. But she couldn't seem to find her way through a town that she's lived in for 31 years and is always calling asking for directions - even to places she's been to MANY times, and was surprised that a frozen turkey could not thaw overnight!
  4. Jenni is much more outspoken in public, while I prefer to speak out more in private.
  5. Jenni prefers to ask forgiveness rather than permission, while I prefer permission first.
  6. Jenni isn't really into the details (most of the time) and would just prefer you get right to the facts. While I want the details and the facts.
  7. Jenni's definition of "how much longer" is "oh in a few minutes or in a little while (which usually means about 30 min. or so)", while my definition to how much longer is the exact number of minutes I anticipate it to be.
  8. Jenni is on her own clock and gets there when she gets there, while I attempt to be on time - very rarely early, often on time, but more often usually within 10 min. of the time I'm supposed to be there. Our Dad, says "Even while she is still living, she is known as the late Jenni!"
  9. Jenni has always (especially in High School) attracted the boys, as potential dating material, while I was more the boys friend and buddy. People are always looking to "hook" Jenni up with someone, while for me it's usually I'm praying he comes along. Even at our recent High School Homecoming game - some of the guys we graduated with stopped their conversation and watched as she walked by. I stood back and thought - she still has it, she still gets their attention. Even though Jenni wouldn't give any of them the time of day.
  10. Jenni usually makes friends quicker than I do, as I have to test out the waters and become comfortable with someone.
  11. Jenni very rarely cares what others think about her, while I often put too much obsession in to the whole situation.
  12. Jenni is a perfectionist, while I just obsess about the details being perfect.
  13. I'm a planner and Jenni is a plan follower. She often says, "Okay Meg, so what is the plan?"
  14. We are both list makers. But usually she asks me to be the person who makes her list.
  15. We both love working with children. But she has a passion for kids who are sick and dying of horrible diseases.
  16. We both single, and hope to one day find our soul mates.
  17. We both came home to the home our parents still call home at 228 S. Roys Avenue. But now have our own pieces of this world to call our home.

Each of these things makes up the person we celebrate today - the person I call my best friend. None of them are things I'd really want to change, although some days it would be nice - but then I think those are the thing that make her Jenni and I love her just the way she is.

So today I want to thank God for and wish a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my sister and best friend...Jenni!! I'm so thankful that God has given me another year to celebrate her life!

Happy Birthday Jenni! I love you!

No comments: