Monday, November 10, 2008

Cheesecake...

It is amazing how the smallest of topics can enlighten you on someone's past.

Last Friday, just like clock work, my boss (Mike) stopped by my desk. This is a daily event - any time between 8:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. He stops just to see what is going on with work, life, etc. It's really nice that he takes the time to just check in - the conversation is usually about 5 min. long and then both of us are back to the "To Do" list. Every Friday Mike's greeting is the same, "Hey Megan...any plans for the weekend?". In the year and half that I've worked at DE, it's never been any different! So as I always do, I filled him in on my plans for last weekend. I told him about a dinner party I was having on Saturday evening. He knows my love of cooking and baking, and asked if I would be preparing the entire meal. I said that that I was and how much I was looking forward to cooking for more than just myself. Like most men, Mike enjoys food and this peaked his interest. He asked what I was preparing and I gave him the run down of the menu. He asked about the dessert (again a typical man question - they always want to know about dessert!), and I explained that I was still debating about dessert. The menu had an Italian theme, and I really wanted to make cheesecake (my most favorite!). However, two of the guests didn't care for cheesecake (unbelievable!), and I didn't want to make two separate desserts! Then all of a sudden the conversation changed from the menu and our plans for the weekend to cheesecake. "Oh, do you make your own cheesecake?" he asked. "Yes, I love to make cheesecake." He explained how his youngest daughter (13-14 years old) loves cheesecake and loves to bake, and how he was considering doing a Father/Daughter night with her to make cheesecake. How sweet! He went on to ask several questions about the special pan (as he referred to it) and where he could locate the special pan, and if it was difficult. He then asked if I'd ever made a certain type of cheesecake - one with Ricotta cheese. I told him I had not, and that I had actually never seen or heard of such a type of cheesecake. He then went on to rave about a lady that he knew in Houston (where he lived before moving to Powell 3 yrs. ago) who made the best Ricotta cheesecake. He said that she would always make them and bring them to their Bible Study.

Bible Study? Did he just say Bible Study? I think he just said Bible Study? Mike has never mentioned going to church, let alone attending a Bible study on a regular basis. I wish now I would have not been so dumb founded and asked more about the Bible Study, but I didn't. But the door is now cracked and I can try to bring it up again, or maybe he will feel a little more open to discussing church/Bible study again. He is very aware that I attend church and that I'm active in the children's ministries, but has NEVER mentioned anything about his church.

Mike quickly ended the conversation asking me if we could talk more later about cheesecake, I told him sure thing, I'm here if you have any questions. But deep down I'm hoping we talk more about this Bible Study!

Amazing how God used some thing as simple as Cheesecake to open this door! Just goes to show you that you must always be ready...unlike me!

No comments: