Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Voice From the Past...

Do you ever wonder if you've made an impact? Will people who don't see you often and only knew you for a brief time remember you? How do you want people to remember you? Will people remember you as being a Christian - someone who actively served and attended church?

I get so excited when I get mail that is worth reading, you know not junk or a bill! As much as I love the ease of modern technology (FB, e-mail, IM, etc.) - I get super excited when I see my name/address handwritten on the front of an envelope, as I pull it out of the mailbox. It's like a little surprise that is added to a normal routine (heart gift)!

Today, I checked my mailbox as I do daily. Junk. Junk. Important details from PNC regarding the transition from NCB to PNC - ugh. Cousin's Wedding Invitation - cool! An envelope that appeared to have a personal note or card - super cool! WOW - two fun things in one day (heart gift)!! I was shocked to see the name on the personal note...Jan Brownlee. A co-worker from the Insurance Broker I worked for 12 years ago. I hadn't seen or heard from Jan in those 12 years. I read the note...she explained that she recently purchased an insurance agency located in the Westgate area, and that she had moved to this side of town. She went on to say that she was looking for a church in the area. She gave me her phone number - so I called her immediately after reading my note. All the time wondering - how did she know she had the right person - there are two people in c-bus with my name. GOD KNEW!!!

She answered, and on the other end was a voice from my past...and honestly, a voice I rarely thought about. We quickly caught up on where we "were" in life and how things were going. After about 10 min, Jan quickly turned the conversation to her purpose for sending the note...finding a church. She was an active member of a church for many years and several things have brought her to where she is currently looking for a new church...one being that she had moved to the Westgate area and wanted to find something closer to home. As she was explaining why she thought of making contact with me, she said..."Megan, I remembered that you lived in this area. I also remember that you were active in a church and how much you loved your church. So I thought I'd call to get some information about your church." For the next 20 mins. I talked to Jan about IBC - its current schedule, ministry opportunities, worship style, shared the website address, explained how IBC is like a family and our current state of transition. For 20 min., I felt like a proud parent "bragging" on her child. I was proud of my church, and the direction it was headed. Jan explained that she had a list of other churches to visit - but would definitely be visting IBC in the near future. I hung up the phone and thought..."WOW!! That was weird. That was kinda cool. Just WOW!". The fact that I had just talked to someone I hadn't seen or talked to in 12 years seemed so surreal - I hadn't talked to her in many years, and yet she remembered me. She remembered me being a Christian and talking about my church. I made the impact on her that I had hoped for - even if that hope was subconsciously. Someone that I worked with - occasionally casually discussing our religious beliefs and background - I made an impact on! It's a simple impact - I know...but it is the impact I desire to make on the lives of others. Who knows where Jan will continue her involvement in the body of Christ. But today, I'm just thankful that my life when I worked with her 12 years ago - made such an impact that she took the time to personally write me a note - just to learn more about my church (heart gift).

"Very cool God, very cool! Thanks for the "heart gift" today God...it totally made me smile."

Today's Reminder Lesson: Live the life of a Christian daily - in all aspects of life. People really are watching - and you never know how God will use your daily testimony in the life of another person.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Meg! Great post! It's Gina. :) Philip told me that I should read it and he was right. (Although I normally read your blog just not as often and typically I have to catch up). :) You are such a wonderful person and like you I hope I make an impact on the people I meet (well a positive one). What a challenge. I pray that one day God will say to me, "Well done thou good and faithful servant!"