Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"The Frazzled Female"...

For the last year plus, I've been looking at ways of de-cluttering my life - ALL ASPECTS. Starting with my schedule and obligations. I thought if I don't get control of my time first, then I won't be able to get control of other things...re-organizing, ministry commitments, spending time with God, nurturing and building relationships with friends, family and other Christians...and maybe even finding "Mr. Right!".

  • I have done a fairly good job with the time management - I'm finding large blocks of time, even entire evenings or Saturdays with nothing on the agenda...I'm learning to see the blessing in that empty block. I've found time to spend with friends, I've made attempts to re-connect with "old" friends, I'm loving developing current friendships, and I've even begun spending time with "new" friends outside of my circle. This has been a real encouragement to me - because that was one of the things I was most missing...quality time with other people. Not to mention, I'm enjoying doing laundry and household chores at acceptable hours of the day.
  • In addition, in January I started working towards re-organizing my home and attempting to get rid of things I don't need. Still major work to be done on that end...I don't like to get rid of things...but I'm hoping my community yard sale in the Summer will help with the the getting rid of unnecessary things process.
  • I'm also making good strides at learning to say "no" to things, people, and commitments that are taking my focus away from where it needs to be. Saying "no" is hard for me...but God is teaching me to say that little word.
  • I've also started carrying about myself more, and my outward appearance...God wants us to care about our bodies and our outward appearance, not to be vain or to get hung up on looks/beauty - but rather because we are a reflection of his image. So we should care about looking presentable (however you define presentable) - this doesn't require name brand anything or expensive hair-dos, jewelry, etc...just being aware of who we are and how we are reflecting this in our outward appearance. To that end...I started a diet, including being accountable with friends via weekly weigh-ins (have no fear - poundage is not revealed, just number of pounds lost! I've not lost my mind); I started the new year off with a new "do" that was pleasing to my face; and I've started wearing make-up more...(for clarification) not because I find it necessary - but wearing make-up gives me confidence and I feel better about myself...I'm convinced there is something magical in those lip gloss tubes!! When I feel better about myself, I don't feel so frazzled; therefore, making me open to listening more to God's leading, teaching and convicting - and not focusing on myself!

However, with all of the efforts, that I have made and I am taking - I've not arrived at my goal of being de-frazzled. I mean why would I think that in a year, I could "undo" the circumstances that took me several years to create - it's just like dieting...it takes time to gain the weight, and time to shed the pounds. It's going to take time to de-clutter my life. It's an on-going, daily commitment that I have to make. In addition, most of the things I've done are outward tasks, and I need to focus on the inward part. As I shared in a previous blog (and alluded to above) - I'm coming out of a time when my life was stuck in a chaotic rut, and I was in need of major re-alignment in my life...it was during that "rut" period that I first attempted the study below. During my current all aspects of my life "re-alignment period", one of the areas that God has convicted me of and challenged me with was having a daily in-depth devotional time that was truly growing me into HIS image - not just reading some verses, making personal application and moving on (you know like a checklist kind of study...gotta do it, do it, check it off). Rather something that was going to challenge me, change me and cultivate my relationship with Him.

Just prior to God revealing to me my need of alignment, I was strolling through the local Christian Bookstore, looking for some new "miracle grow" for my soul. I found a study that caught my eye - mainly because the title described me, "The Frazzled Female - Finding Peace in Daily Life" (by Cindi Wood), and because I felt like most days of my life I looked like the character on the front of the book. I read the description, read through the TOC, found it to be something I could benefit from, so I purchased it (bonus it was on sale - yet another sign God was drawing me to the study), started the study, and shamefully I didn't get through the first week - because I found myself running out of time each day (pathetic, yet ironic, to say the least!). I've seen the study next to my bed for sometime now - but I've not opened it up. However, through God's conviction and begging of me to be closer to Him - I decided that I am going to start (or I guess I should say re-start) this study. This is part of an entire series entitled "The Frazzled Female". I've committed myself to doing this study DAILY - as it is designed, beginning this Sunday (because the study is a weekly study that begins on Sunday - and I'd get confused if I didn't start accordingly). It's a six week study. In addition, as a way of holding myself accountable (and maybe even challenging/blessing others - even my male followers), I'm going to post blogs (at least weekly) about my progress, the truths God is teaching me and challenging me with through that week's study, and whatever other tidbits I may find to be applicable.

Below is the description of the study:
Knowing Christ and His Word is really the best way to deal with today's frantic, stressful pace. Nonetheless, connecting the two can be a challenge. This book is a new study designed especially for women. By sitting at the feet of Jesus and absorbing His teaching, women will be able to deal with essential issues like managing their time, getting along with difficult people, taking time for themselves, and even organizing their lives. This thought-provoking yet light hearted study helps women discover practical, biblical help to confront issues that otherwise leave them feeling discouraged.


So stay tuned...God is working, and this could get exciting!

1 comment:

The Girl with the Golden Quill said...

I am a lip gloss addict. May need some therapy or an intervention down the line.....Glad to hear you like it too!
;)