Monday, February 15, 2010

Penny...

On Friday, February 12 at 7:49 a.m. I lost a friend, and Heaven gained an angel (as Jenni so sweetly put it)...my lifelong friend Penny (Miller)Hoffman lost her battle to cervical cancer to gain the glory of the Lord.

Penny was only 39 and she leaves behind a husband, four small children, her parents, siblings and their spouses, several nieces and nephews, and MANY friends. Two days shy of 13 months from her diagnosis of the horrible disease that ended her life - God called her HOME...saying "well done thou good and faithful servant...enter into the joy of your Lord." Our loss was truly heaven's gain. Penny was easy to love - she had a sweet spirit, was always smiling and above all was a faithful servant and follower of Jesus Christ. Penny lived her life to bring honor to God and to point others to His free gift of salvation, while demonstrating his love unconditionally to those that she came in contact with.

For a few weeks now, we knew that Penny's life on earth was coming to an end - and I've been thinking about some memories I have of Penny. Penny is the older sister of one of my childhood best friends, Katie...and it was through Katie that I first got to know Penny. Growing up I spent many a Sunday afternoons or Friday nights at Katie's house. Through the years, especially at the end of my teen years and into my early adult years Penny began to become my friend. And since that time our friendship grew and blossomed. Penny always called me by my first and middle name - Megan Marie. I'm not sure why, but she did and it became how I signed my name to cards & letters to Penny. It was her "nickname" for me, and honestly it was nice to hear it and know I wasn't in trouble! I've enjoyed my trip down Memory Lane - quietly traveling through the phases of our friendship and remembering so many wonderful experiences. We've had many fun times together with lots of laughter. We've had many heart to heart times with many tears shed. But one of my greatest connections to Penny was because we shared a similar experience - SINGLENESS...and more importantly singleness beyond 30 years old. Penny spent the majority of her adult life as a single (she and her husband were married for 7 years and 12 days, when she left this world) - so Penny could relate to me, a fellow single. She OFTEN told me that she understood what I was thinking or feeling and that she was praying for me. Often times these were just random confirmations of her being there for me. Outside of myself and my Mom, I don't think there is another person on this earth who prayed more that God would bring me a husband. Penny was my matchmaker prayer warrior! That was so special to know - because I knew Penny truly understood and knew exactly how to pray about this situation...what a blessing that was to me. This past summer, right before Penny started her slow decline in the battle - she asked if she could meet with me and pray over me. She said that myself and my sister had been on her heart and mind, and that she wanted to pray with us. We both agreed - so after a Sunday evening service, the three of us meet in quiet room and Penny laid her hands on us and prayed for us - specifically that God would fill the desire of our hearts and bring us each a spouse...a Godly spouse. No one had ever done that with me or for me - no one had ever taken the time to lay their hands on me (as they did in Bible times) and to pray specifically for me to find a husband. What a special moment that was - with tears quickly streaming down my face I embraced Penny and thanked her. I'm a wimp and I don't do hospitals all that well; however the week after Christmas I went to visit Penny in the hospital. It was the last time I saw my friend and had a conversation with her. When I left her room, my heart was crushed...she was so frail and weak, but as I left I stood beside her bed, hugged her frail body and said..."I love you friend." And she hugged me tighter, and in a weak voice said..."I love you too, Megan Marie." Those were the last words I heard her speak to me, and I will cherish them forever.

What a privilege is was for me to call Penny my friend. I'm going to miss her greatly - her smile, her laugh, the way she pronounced certain words (i.e. idea), her love and compassion, her example of being a faithful servant and mostly her friendship. I realize that Penny is in much better place. She is healed from her cancer, she no longer has tubes, ports or bags going into her body. Penny is now perfect - and she has seen the face of God. I realize that those of us who knew her were only guaranteed an unknown amount of time to have her with us, and I also realize that she had completed the work God called her to do - and while I (and so many others) may feel it was too soon - He was ready to have her back. However, I look forward to and know that there will come a day when I again will see my friend...and I'm sure she will be at the gates of Heaven welcoming me in and grabbing my hand, running me to throne of Jesus Christ, so that we can together worship and praise Him for all eternity.

Over the last few days, I've been searching through songs to just bring comfort to my sad heart, and I came acrossed the one below, I found it to be so fitting of Penny. She always wanted to make sure that her life was causing people to love Jesus more - she encouraged people to love Him more and to come to know his unconditional love. So I found it rather appropriate to end my blog about Penny with this song. I love you Penny!

Until we meet again...may I too live a life that is pointing others to Christ and leave them loving Jesus more.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

what a tribute Megan...thanks for always sharing your heart with us. She was a very special person who would relate to each of us in a unique way. It is great to hear everybody's different life story of Penny. thanks for sharing!

gretchen said...

A beautiful and worthy tribute, Megan. Thank you so much for sharing.