Friday, October 17, 2008

Update...

Well it has been a while since I last blogged...is that a word? So I thought I should be doing a better job at these sorts of things, and now I'm ready to update you on where I've been and what I've been doing for the last um 5 months or so. I'm not sure who, if anyone reads this thing - so depending on who reads it...most of this won't be breaking news. But feel free to read, who knows you may learn something you didn't know.

Well for starters...on May 28, I entered a new phase of my life - I became a home owner!!! Oh wow - how fun, exciting and overwhelming. I love my Villa de Megalicious. I'm really beginning to feel like it is home...my home! Only a few more boxes to sort through and put away, but I figure it won't be long before the days are cold and boring, and I'll need a project - so why waste a beautiful day of warm weather and spend it inside in the basement...boring! God has blessed me with a beautiful 2 bedroom condo - that is just the perfect size for me. I have all kinds of room - lots of extra sleeping room for girls nights, sleepovers with the nieces and nephews or out-of-town friends!

I spent most of my summer enjoying my new home and getting settled in. However, I enjoyed the normal summer routines of my life. I started the summer attending and celebrating Ashley's graduation from High School. What a joy that was to be there! Baseball games to see Hayden play. Lots of cook-outs and family gathers (since the majority of our b-days fall in the summer!). Various summer time enjoyment - professional baseball games, swimming, watching sunsets, enjoying longer days of sunlight. I attended Red, White & Boom (a summer must!) and various other fireworks displays. I lead the 7&8 year old VBS class - that was a fun (yet challenging) use of my spiritual gifts. I had to say good-bye to a few dear friends - that is never pleasant, but a part of life. My dear friend Bert lost her fight with cancer, but gained the joys of Heaven. The very next day my close friend Beth left for 2 years to be a teacher in China - that's two straight years. Then in August my friends Phil & Gina moved to PA - so that Phil can attend seminary and join the National Guard as a Chaplain. I have found myself missing them terribly. Bert was always good for a hug on Sunday morning to tell me how beautiful I was - that always made me smile. I miss Beth, Gina and Phil just in the normal things of IBC or hanging out. I really miss Beth sitting next to me in the choir, and all of our laughter that we shared. But God has taught me many things with each of the good-byes. Most a private, so I won't share them today.

As the summer turned to Fall, I was able to be there on Sophia's VERY first day of school. I have 6 nieces and nephews, and four of them have had their first day of Kindergarten. I've been there for all four of them. You see even though I'm not a Mom, I still want to experience these things - and I get to do them via my nieces and nephews. Thankfully their moms are okay with me "interrupting" their moments. I've been there to see their excitement and to watch them take those precious first steps into their classroom - into their new phase of life. How sweet it is to see that nervous, anxious, excited smile as they walk in, eventually turn around and wave. The wave that says - hey look at me, I'm doing it, I'm going to be okay - I love you. How sweet it was as I watched Ashley take those steps across that stage in June at her graduation, as she entered that new phase of her life. As she did I had those flashbacks to that bright sunny brisk morning that she stood there on the playground of Westgate Elementary waiting for her very first day of school. Then in September I was there for her very first day of Cosmetology School - not waiting on a playground for bells to ring - but at her house as she drove off. It wasn't planned - well I didn't plan it, God did. The power had gone out at my house due to Hurricane Ike "blowing" through Cbus. So I stayed at Steve & Wendy's. It allowed me to enjoy that morning of excitement with her, and to watch her get into her car to drive to her very first day of college. Steve, Wendy and I wanted to go and watch her walk in, but we knew those were steps she had to take by herself, without any of us watching.

Work has changed so much in the last 5 months. I've taken on an additional work load, and I'm very overwhelmed - still. I was also able to see the fruits of my labor come to life, at the conference I had been planning since January. It was in Pittsburgh and about 80 or so employees attended. It was a LOT of work and attention to detail. But I loved it! It was a very stretching and enjoyable challenge. God allowed me to interview with a large company, for a very nice position - but His plan was just to take me through the ENTIRE interview process. I'm not sure if he is getting my attention to begin looking elsewhere, or if He was testing my faith and obedience. But at any rate - He tested me and I was committed to follow. I'll have to see what the future holds.

Most of that leads us to present day...

This past weekend I was able to take a road trip with Jenni (sister) and Chrissy (friend) to see Phil & Gina in PA. That was just wonderful - everything about the weekend was wonderful! The trees were the most beautiful I'd ever seen and the company in the car and over the weekend was just refreshing to my spirit. I had the opportunity to see old faces (young, old faces!)- Ben, Holly, Summer and Caleb. While also getting to meet new young faces - Allie and Kristen. Friday evening Gina, Jenni, Chrissy and I enjoyed dinner at Bennigan's. Oh it was so great to get to see Gina and to get caught up on everything. After dinner we went to Wal-Mart and then returned to do "make-overs". Gina and I colored our hair. Jenni experimented with curlers and Chrissy was our "Beautifier". We (Gina, Jenni, Chrissy, Allie, Holly and I) spent Saturday at Roba's (a family farm/pumpkin patch) enjoying pig races, the corn maze, picking pumpkins and the petting zoo. Later that afternoon, we (Gina, Jenni, Chrissy and I) went to Phil's soccer game (he is one of the coaches) at BBC, this allowed us the opportunity to walk around the campus. God brought back moments of former TLC trips, as I walked along different parts of the campus. That was super cool! Saturday evenings was spent enjoying Pepperoni Pizza Chili, visiting with Summer (and meeting Kristin), making Carmel apples and just laughing! Sunday started early and we went to church with Phil & Gina. After the service it was time to head home - so we (Jenni, Chrissy and I) got comfy in the Vibe and headed West. We had another great trip completed with junk food, singing to the radio and LOTS of laughter!!!

The past few months have allowed me to see and learn things about God...
  1. He is Faithful - I've seen it before and I've known it for a long time. But God allowed me to experience it again. Especially as I see him working in the lives of Beth, Phil & Gina, my family and the Sutherland family.
  2. He is All Knowing - There were days this summer that I just didn't understand Why. But God did/does and I can rest on this fact.
  3. He is ALL I NEED - Purchasing a home isn't something I wanted to do alone. But God's timing isn't always my timing and God's plans aren't always my plans. Through this I'm beginning to see that I may never find my Prince Charming, and I may never have what the world calls "Happily Ever After". But I know that I have a Prince who does love me and I know that I can be Happy now, because when the after comes...I'll be in Heaven!! While I've not yet given up complete hope - I'm realizing that Villa de Megalicious may always have only one permanent tenant.
  4. He is a Sustainer - My dad is facing some very concerning and unpleasant health issues, and it has really taken a toll on me. My parents have always had fairly good health - especially my Mom she's just in great health. I've not mentioned my worries/concern about my Dad to many and you can't really see it in my actions or the words that I say - but it is a mask I'm just not willing to take off yet. I'm just not willing yet to realize that my dad is sick and he may never be that person I once knew him to be. But God is good and he is sustaining me to take it one day at a time and to realize that God loves my dad more than I could ever hope or imagine, and he has the best plan for my dad - even including the pain and suffering he has been and will face.

The last 5 months have been WONDERFUL months, stretching months, memory making months, life changing months. But they are months that make me the person I am today, the person I will be tomorrow when a new challenge pops up it's head, and all of these things will make me a better person and (hopefully) a person that is more Christ-like.

No comments: