Tuesday, October 21, 2008

He said..."Winter is coming."

The weather man says it is going to be 32 degrees tonight...32 degrees it is only October 21 (7 months til my birthday, by the way!), and we are already going to hit FREEZING...oh no, better get and extra blanket or two for my bed!

When I lived in my apartment I loved the various fountains that were sprinkled throughout the complex. There was one in the pond right behind my apartment, so I could sit on my balcony and enjoy the sound of the splashing water. There was one in the pond in front of my apartment, which was closest to my bedroom. I loved it on those nights that the windows were open the sound of the fountain would carry me off to my dreamland. After 7 years I was very accustom to the sounds of my apt. - mainly the sound of the fountains and the noise of the freeway (which eventually just became second nature and was able to tune it out!). However, when I was looking for a condo I had my list (surprise!) of must haves and would like to haves - and a fountain never made the list. I'm not sure why - but I'm assuming I probably didn't give it much thought. I'm sure I would miss it - but really who puts a fountain on their list. That is just one of those little blessings you are lucky to get.

When I found my Villa de Megalicious I fell in love with the hardwood floors, the enclosed brick patio, the finished basement and the spaciousness of the entire place. I never really payed attention to the fountain right outside. At the end (which is where I live) of my street there is an island that is home to a fountain, as you curve around the island you are now proceeding back up the street. On the day of my home inspection, I was driving down the street and saw the maintenance man getting the fountain ready for the warm season. Oh I was so excited - that was the first time I realized that a fountain was located there...and its location was perfect. I could sit on my patio reading a book or enjoying company - while the sound of the fountain danced in the background. I could open my bedroom window and the sound of the fountain could again carry me to my dreamland. Oh I was so excited...I enjoyed the fountain so much the past 5 months (wow has it really been that long?!). Kari's kids LOVED to go to the fountain.

Then it happened...yesterday as I was enjoying my day off I heard clanging and banging, then silence, then more clanging and banging, then silence. This continued on for most of the day. As I was pulling out of my carport - I saw it. The signs that the fountain was being turned off for the Winter. Oh no! Could it really be? Yeah, it really could be. The same maintenance man who seemed to be working a lot faster that Spring day that I first saw him, was draining the fountain and the water was no longer joyfully shooting upward and making the beautiful crashing sound as it came back down. A long hose ran from the bed of the fountain to the sewer, carrying the water that had caused the fountain to dance. I cracked my window and said, "Are you just repairing the fountain?" Hoping that would be the answer. The maintenance man smiled and said, "No, I'm turning it off...winter is coming." "Oh, okay...well have a great day!" "Rats", I thought, as my window glided back up. Ugh...winter means cold, less daylight, potential for ice on the roads and sidewalks, the stuffy stale air from sealed tight windows., and now a fountain-less day. As you can see, I'm not such a big fan of winter - outside of Christmas time, of course. Yes, yes, yes - I know that God made the winter and at times it can be beautiful - but it is much easier for me to see beautiful when it is sunny and in the 80's. But whether I like it or not - Winter is coming...today the silent fountain reminded me of that and I had better get ready.

2 comments:

Karen said...

What a great story. Sorry your fountain was turned off but just think, in 5 months or so this same maintenance man will be preparing to turn it back on again.

God Bless,
Karen

Meg said...

YAHOO!!!