Saturday, December 25, 2010

(kinda) Funny Story...

So we are going through this whole "re-stack" at work...basically they are updating work areas and cramming us into smaller cubicles - which just enough room to breath (however, I love the colors and set-up!). So I'm currently on the 14th floor. I moved there in November, and will be there until March-ish. There are four of us who are enduring this temporary "housing" for this long...it's a long story as to why - but basically it's because we started out on the 8th floor and will end up on the 5th - the 8th floor was at the beginning of the "re-stack" and the 5th floor is at the end - and we drew the short straws for having no where to sit during the transition!

For some time now we (the four of us) have been the only 4 people on this ENTIRE floor!! My boss, is one of the four, and is based out of Detroit. Usually he is in C-bus for 2-3 days each week; however, since Thanksgiving he's tried not to travel as often...and his meeting schedule has accommodated this desire. With it being December there is a lot of people taking time off as well. So one of the other two guys (of the four - I'm the only female! JOYish!), has taken a significant amount of time off. This leaves just one other guy and I on the floor. Well the other guy his wife just had their sixth baby (all under the age of 8 - thank you very much!) - so he's been doing a lot of working from home or working in a satellite office closer to his house. That means I'm often left alone on this floor. While other groups are coming to the floor for brief (2-3 weeks) stays in the near future - December hasn't been a great month to temporarily move people. So I've probably worked alone on the ENTIRE floor - all but 5 days since before Thanksgiving! While it is at times super creepy - I have been able to get MUCH accomplished. I just turn up my Pandora and go down the list of things that need to be done, as other minor fires come up throughout the day.

Well this week, my boss had to be in C-bus for meetings. He didn't arrive in the office until late in the day on Monday. When he arrived on the floor all of the lights had been turned off, except for those in my work area. I didn't realize this, because of the way the floor is set-up. He was NOT a happy camper to get off the elevators in a dark lobby and then walk back to our "home away from home" in the semi-dark (we have a lot of natural light that comes through the office). I had mentioned to him that I was alone - but he thought only in our work area...not the entire floor - although, I told him it was the entire floor. He was so upset that this was how I was having to work - I'm very fortunate to have a boss that cares very much about me, my safety and my work conditions. He was so worried about my safety. I should mention that the doors are locked at all times, and a pass card is required to obtain access to the floor. SO for that I'm thankful, and it gives me an extra level of calmness about the situation. My boss talked about it for several minutes. You have to know him to understand the picture I'm painting. He is very vocal. He enjoys hearing himself talk. He can be rather explosive - if he lets himself. He's very much a reactive person, and then tends to clean-up the mess later kind of person. You know ask for forgiveness later, than ask for permission now. Not unique traits to him - very common traits in Executives! SO you can only imagine the scene unfolding in front of me...it was like a bomb just exploded in the middle of the desert. So back to the story...he was talking about it again most of the next day. So later in the afternoon, he comes to my desk and says he's worried about me, and he wants to provide alternative seating if I should ever feel uncomfortable. So we began discussing his thoughts. To start off our convo - he says..."all night last night I kept thinking about this situation - I have an attractive 22 year old woman alone on this floor, all day and it's not safe..." (um what did he say? 22 years old?). Me: "yeah, try a little older, (laugh) much older...". Him: "okay, what you can't be older than 24...". Me: "haha, thanks for the complement - but I'm much older than 24 as well. But I'm open to alternative seating options - what are you thinking?" Him: "not possible, I don't believe it - but I'm not going to ask your age." Me (to myself): "Good!"

Conclusion to this situation - My boss who thinks I'm 24ish years old - yet knows I have almost 16 years administrative experience (explain that please)...and an alternative seating option should I ever feel uncomfortable! Hey, at least I got a laptop out of the conversation!

No comments: