Thursday, December 30, 2010

2010 - Whew, I made it threw!...

WOW! Another year has come, and is almost gone. I can't believe it's almost over, yet on the other hand I can't believe it's taken this long to get here!

2010 has been one of the hardest years I've ever had...yet I've learned more about myself, others and God this year. It's been filled with some pretty deep lows and some pretty big highs - and lots of middle of the road stuff.

In this last year I've found myself on my knees begging God to heal a sick friend, pleading for a job, weeping to provide comfort to my lonely heart and urging for understanding in situations that I don't understand. I've gained a prayer partner, new family members, friendships and a new job. God has used my meal ministry to feed many through various ways, and my administrative/organizations skills to lead a ministry I never thought I'd have the honor of leading. God has given and He has taken away. God provided protection during the unusually snowy winter and allowed Ohioans a beautiful Spring, Summer, Fall and even an Indian Summer. But in all of 2010 I've found it to be true that God has remained faithful, even when I wavered. He's provided strength in my weakness. And it's only because of Him that I was able to face everyday this year.

Enjoy a re-cap of some of the highlights, and dimmed lamps of my year...

January ~

  • The Ohio State Football Buckeyes provided us with a win in the Granddaddy of them all the Rose Bowl. Beating the Oregon Ducks 26 to 17.
  • A "new" ministry began at IBC - on that I had prayed for for a long time. A Small Group started on Thursday evenings for young adults...and I've enjoyed attending and getting to know some fellow brothers and sisters in Christ; although I'm not really that young anymore - or at least not as young as many of them.
  • I found out that Ashley was pregnant and that the end of Summer would take me in to my next phase of life...being a Great Aunt!
  • I found out that my job would be transferred to Pittsburgh at the end of May. I had to decided whether to move or quit my position...within two weeks. I decided to stay in C-bus, and to work until the office closed or I found another position...which ever came first.
  • IBC Commissioned and sent Kristie to Romania - what a joy it was to watch this young woman follow the Lord's leading...what a blessing to have ministered to and with her!

February ~

  • I had to say my temporary good-bye to my sweet friend, Penny. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done and I miss her so much.
  • Our Small Group was able to minister to IBC and the MRC. The guys did some minor repairs around the building, while the ladies made no-sew blankets for MRC clients.

March ~

  • Jenni, Kari and I took a chartered bus trip that we will never forget. Wendy's Mom and brother, Tom, joined us. It was interesting to say the least.
  • I again was able to volunteer at the Children's Hospital Heme Weekend @ Deer Creek.
  • Tim, Lisa, Ryan, Jenni and I spent a beautiful weekend in Hocking Hills - lots of fun!!
  • I had "coffee" (okay we both had Hot Chocolate!) with someone I knew in High School - yet we'd never really met or knew each. It's been great getting to know her, and to minister/worship with she and her family @ IBC.
April ~

  • I was blessed to hear Ken Rudolph speak again...at the Good Friday service.
  • My cousin Tony got married to his long-time girlfriend, Ashley. Ashley has felt like family for a long time, but it is wonderful to officially have her as a member!
  • Our family again participated in the MS Walk! We walk in hopes of finding a cure for everyone with MS - but especially Wendy & Clyde!
  • It's (another) Girl! Ashley found out her bundle of joy was a girl!
  • Sophia started the process of getting braces!
  • I saw Tim McGraw in concert with Jenni, Kari & Lisa!
  • I was again able to chaperon the West High Ensemble trip to Virginia Beach. It was a beautiful weekend! I LOVE the Beach!! I LOVE the kids!!

May ~

  • Ayana turned 5!
  • After several months of searching, many hours of meeting and countless hours of reading resumes. The IBC Search Committee narrowed the candidates to four! We met all four, interviewed them and their wives - I had the joy of cooking for two of the four meals!
  • Hayden played his last official High School baseball game and was crowned Prom King all in the same week. He later played in the City League All Star Game.
  • I found out I was going to be the Director of IBC's VBS - to be held on June 27...YIKES!
  • I turned 34 - one year from my scary age!
  • I ended my chapter as an employee of Direct Energy - and said goodbye to many co-workers and friends.

June ~

  • I had a phone interview with Huntington Bank (this was just one of many interviews I had had over the 5 months of searching)
  • The Search Committee decided on our candidate and presented him to the Deacon's...Pastor Brad Rickard.
  • Due to my unemployment I was able to volunteer at Westgate's Field Day - what a super treat!
  • Hayden became the second graduate of the third generation from West High School, where he read "The Road Less Traveled" by Robert Frost.
  • I had a face to face interview with Josh Eichenhorn and Andy Keusal at Huntington Bank
  • Beth came home! I'm so glad December 2011 holds another visit of my non-Asian friend who lives in Asia!
  • I spent my days of unemployment looking for additional opportunities, enjoying the start of summer break with the nieces and nephews, and planning/preparing VBS details/materials.
  • I was offered and accepted a job at Huntington Bank in their Commercial Credit Department supporting the EVP - Commercial Credit Sr. Loan Approval Officer and the VP - Training and Development.
  • I directed VBS at IBC, and started my new job the day after VBS started!
  • Hayden turned 18!

July ~

  • I began commuting via COTA!
  • I traveled to Troy, MI for training...it was my first trip to the state up North!
  • Ashley graduated from Cosmetology school!
  • Pastor Brad Rickard candidated, was called and accepted the call to be Sr. Pastor at IBC! PRAISE THE LORD!
  • Kari & the kids had a wonderful week at Family Camp and Emily had another great week at TLC!
  • I enjoyed the Ladies Summer Bible/Book Study on Sunday evenings!

August ~

  • Emily made the Varsity Volleyball team.
  • Elijah began his first season of football, while Sophia and Ayana enjoyed their first season of Cheering.
  • Our Small Group "hosted" the IBC Picnic - Brunch version! While I did very little in terms of planning...it seemed to be enjoyed by many!
  • IBC voted to move AWANA to Wednesday evenings and eliminate youth for grades K-6...it was a rather big deal - but shockingly had very little discussion at the time of the meeting!
  • I "returned" as a Youth Leader for IBC's IT group!
  • Ayana entered Kindergarten - the sixth in the second generation to attend Westgate.
  • Hayden moved into the dorms and began his college career at Capital University.
  • Ashley delivered a beautiful little girl...Gabriella Rose!

September ~

  • I enjoyed a weekend of camping with friends!
  • Ohio State beat Miami!
  • Pastor Brad began his time at IBC!
  • I began meeting with my prayer partner...what an encouragement!
  • I began my second year of WHS Athletic Booster Special Events Coordinator.
  • Tim & Lisa were engaged!! I'm enjoying helping them coordinate!

October ~

  • Was the most difficult month as I suffered greatly with the singleness issue.
  • Ashley passed her State Boards!
  • Dad's health really started to decline.
  • I enjoyed a weekend in VanOrder Land bonding with some girlfriends, and meeting a new acquaintance. I look forward to getting to know her more in 2011 - when she moves to C-bus!
  • I ventured out of my norm - and went to a Girl's Night Out with people I really didn't know. It was a ceramics painting party at a place (ironically) called "Outside the Lines". I'm looking forward to the next one on January 7.
  • IBC tragically and quickly lost one of it's most faithful servants - Al Webster
  • The annual Thornton Harvest Party @ Jenni's was another highlight to the Fall season.
  • Terry (the kids Dad) was in a tragic and sever car accident - that has changed all of our lives forever.
  • The AGDO (Annual Girls' Day Out) with all the Thornton women + Grandma Rosie (Wendy's Mom) involved Apple Picking and lunch at the Nutcracker in Pataskla. Katrina joined us this year - as did Chrissy & Livi!

November ~

  • The Republicans had huge wins in Ohio and all across the USA on Election Day.
  • I enjoyed my first ever Veteran's Day off at the movies - alone! A tradition I think I'll keep!
  • I enjoyed a day with my Mom at the Outlet Malls...we love to shop!
  • Hayden decided to switch to Ohio Dominican beginning Winter Semester, 2011.
  • I held and comforted my niece, as she sat heartbroken and sobbing in my front seat - telling me that her boyfriend had just moments before broken-up with her.
  • I coordinated the kitchen portion of the Thanksgiving Eve Fest @ IBC...little did I know the blessing I would receive, from such a little meal. At 8:00 p.m. - one of the girls (approx. 5 yrs old) prayed to thank God and said that was the first thing she had to eat ALL DAY - and as she was literally shoveling it in my heart broke for her.
  • Jenni and I braved the Pre-Black Friday mania and stood outside Toys 'R Us for two hours in the pouring rain on Thanksgiving night, and then conquered Black Friday. The deals were so worth it and we saved so much. But the time, laughter and memories made with my sister were priceless. I believe this too is going to be a tradition.
  • For the 7th year in a ROW Ohio State defeated the Michigan Wolverines.

December ~

  • We "brought back" our tradition of baking Christmas cookies at IBC, per the request of Emily & Kari. It wasn't the 1900+ as in years past, but we still had a lot and enjoyed spending the day together.
  • Ashley turned 21!
  • The IBC Dinner Theater & WHS Ensemble performance are always a highlight to me.
  • The Thornton Family sorted the Christmas Cards at IBC for the 24th year in a row!
  • The Annual Thornton Sister's Shopping Adventure was just that...an adventure! But we were productive and found some super deals!
  • Katrina heard the Christmas story for the first time - EVER!
  • Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were both spent with family, and lots of love was demonstrated. But our focus was the true meaning of Christmas - Christ's Birth!
  • I was able to cross an item off of my Bucket List - attending a Harlem Globetrotter's game.

So there it is...2010 through my eyes and experiences...whew, I made it threw! Looking forward to 2011, and all it has in store!

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Wish I had a recap of each month like that! It's all a whirlwind to me. I'm so thankful to be in your life and to have you in mine!