Wednesday, April 7, 2010

You Only Get One Chance...

Well this isn't the original post. Something happened, and my original post has gone into the technology Bermuda Triangle. UGH!!! So I will try to recreate.




In recent weeks I've been reminded of the brevity of life. The saying "Life is Short"...has become more than real to me. I'm not sure why. It could be the death of my friend - a wife and mother of four small children - who died at 39 years old. The reality that an earthquake has the capability of suddenly ending the lives of thousands and sending them into eternity. The heart wrenching stories of coal miners ending their days work and being in the wrong spot at the right time for gases to cause an explosive blast so powerful that 25 have left this world instantly - one as young as 20 years old and another just 5 weeks from retirement to a job he's had for 30+ years. Or personally, it could be watching my Dad's health decline - he's not as strong as he once was and on occasion relays on a cane for support, his mind is becoming more forgetful and it's not as sharp...that reality brings emotions that are too hard to share.

But whatever the reason - this realization has been in the forefront of my mind for some time now. We are born, and on that day we are given a number - the number of days that we will be blessed to live on this earth, the number of days we have to love - to make an impact - to serve - to just live. Life is a miracle...it's a gift - we only get it once. So, I've learned a few things.

  • I'm going to cheer as loud as I want for Emily at her volleyball games, and not worry about embarrassment to myself...she will know that I support her.
  • I'm going to hug Hayden after his baseball game no matter how sweaty and dirty he may be, and not worry about my shirt sharing the same dirt or sweat...he will know that I love him unconditionally.
  • I'm going to count it a blessing when Sophia calls me in the middle of the night to ask questions about braces - she needs re-assurance that it will be fine...she will know that I'll be there for her anytime day or night.
  • I'm going to sit on the front porch for as long as I can listening to Ayana sing a song or tell stories, over and over again, and not worry for a moment about the to-do list that needs to be done...she will know that I value what she has to say.
  • I'm going to allow Elijah to tell me all about his day (including what he had for lunch) and read books to me all night long if he wants...he will know that I care.
  • I'm going to let Ashley practice on a new technique on my hair - it's just hair, it will grow back or we can change the color...she will know that I trust her.
  • I'm not going to worry about being on every committee...time is valuable, why would I want to spend it all in meetings.
  • I'm going to share and show Christ's love with those around me...and when necessary use my words to do so.
  • I'm going to not sweat the small stuff, the big stuff or anything else in between - God already has it worked out.
  • I'm going to take time to call or visit with my parents...they invested so much into me, it's my turn to give to them.
  • I'm going to put only God before my family...they are my number one possession, and I didn't even have to pay for them! :)
  • I'm going to say "I Love You", even if I don't get an "I Love You" in return.
  • I'm going to realize it's okay to be embarrassed, to fail or to let others down - as long as I learn from it and become a better person in the end.
  • I'm going to share my emotion - happy, sad, smiles, tears, words, hugs...it's shows I'm human, not perfect.
  • I'm going to give back to the younger generations and invest in them...they will one day replace me and I want them to do a good job!
  • I'm going to give when I can monetarily to investments that last for eternity - I can't take my money with me. But also not feel guilty if on occasion I treat myself to a pedicure or a new dress...I work hard for my money.
  • I'm going to eat ice cream for dinner, and not feel bad about it...as long as I don't do it everyday! :)
  • I'm going to slow down and spend time on a walk, sitting in the sun and just enjoying God's creation...some one is confined to a hospital room and longs to feel the sun on her face.
  • I'm going to realize that structure, rules and order have it's place...but it's okay to not have them all of the time - because then you miss out on a special thing...LIFE!!

Erma Bombeck, one of my favorite authors, wrote these words when she found out that she had a fatal disease. Her words are true. I don't want to look back on my life and see that I waited for marriage, money, or for _______...only to realize I waited too long, and my chance is over. I'm only promised the moment I'm in right now, and I don't want regrets.

If I Had My Life to Live Over
Erma Bombeck

I would have talked less and listened more.

I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.

I would have eaten the popcorn in the "good" living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.

I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.

I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching TV - and more while watching life.

I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.

I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."

There would have been more "I love yous"...more "I'm sorrys"...

But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute...look at it and really see it...live it...and never give it back.


Life is short - you only get once chance...so make the most of it!!

No comments: