Saturday, January 17, 2009

Forecast looks stormy...


Storms...I love storms. I love to sit outside and watch the storm clouds rolling in. As the storm is occurring I love to watch and listen as the lightening flashes across the sky and the loud thunder cracks. I love to look out and see the rainbow, at the end of a storm. Of course not every storm has them. But the promise of the rainbow is a wonderful reminder of God's power and that He is in control.

As I begin to look into next week, I can see storm clouds rolling in. In my own life, the lives of loved friends and family members. And honestly, these aren't the storms I enjoy. But God allows storms to come into our lives to purify us, to make us learn to lean and so that in the end we can see the rainbow...of how again God brought us through and that He is still in control. All while (hopefully) praising His name. When "life storms" come along, I like to remember what my 8th grade science teacher shared with me. My grandfather was dying of cancer and schools wasn't really where I wanted to be. Mrs. Jansen looked at me and said, " Megan - This is just the beginning of the storms that will come into your life. As storms come reflect on the words in the Bible when the storms out at sea would come. At the end of the storm the Bible says..."and it came to pass". The storms passed, they never came to stay forever. The will be true of the storms in your life." Ever since then I try to remember the promise that my storm, my family's storm, my friend's storm...it is coming to pass and it won't stay. It may stay until God calls me home - but it won't be a forever storm.


Forecast of known storms for the week...will you join me in praying this week, as these storms and other storms occur?


Please pray for me this week. I've was told (by one of my bosses) that work is going to be rough next week - as more announcements, including consolidation, will be made. I don't know the exact impact on my job, but I've been told that I'll have to deal with lot of questions - from myself and others. Pray that my attitude would not be negative, but one that is understanding. As some know the last half of 2008 was not easy - it brought a relocation and reduction of over 50% of our office, and left lots of questions about the future of the remaining staff. Next week's news will once again rattle our office.



Please pray for my friend and her family. I don't have all the details...but I know they will walk the road of pathology tests, test results and plans for future treatment. They too will have lots of questions that need answers. Pray as an out of town family member comes home - that flights and money would not hinder his arrival.


Please pray for my ex-brother-in-law. He found out last week that this Friday (1/23) will be his last day of work. His company (like other companies) is reducing their staff by 50%. He carries the insurance for my nieces and nephew, and so this detail (on top of everything else) needs to be worked out. But more important pray for him spiritually. In the last two years, everything he has known as normal has been removed - he has gone through a divorce, has gone from seeing his children daily to seeing them only certain days of the week, has had to move from the home his children knew as home, and now has lost his job. He was (and may still be) so far from God. Sometimes, God has to remove everything to bring us back to himself...that is my prayer for him.

God, above all that is going on in the lives of your children...I pray that we will be able to praise you in our storms. Help us to lean on you and not on our own understanding. Help us to reflect you in our lives as others around are watching how we handle the storm. Nothing comes into our lives without first passing through your hands. Help us Lord, to remember this promise.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Thanks for that reminder Megan. It is amazing how God works. I just posted on my blog a song about how God may choose to calm the storm or to hold us during the wind and blowing.

I will be praying for the things listed that I have not been praying about already.

God Bless,
Karen