Thursday, June 5, 2014

Oh Where to Begin...

So much has happened since my last post...as seems to be the case with my blog over the last few year - but with the new laptop, I'm hoping that blogging will again become a regular "thing".

So where do I begin - well Maria says we should "start at the very beginning it is a a very good place to start" {okay who else is singing...I heart Sound of Music!}

So the beginning...hmm, okay....

  1. Ryan and Jenni were married during sunset on the white sands of Marco Island surrounded by their families and a couple close friends last August. Then at Thanksgiving they announced Baby Young would be arriving in June, 2014.  February revealed that Baby Young would be Baby Boy Young..and we eagerly anticipate his arrival in just a few weeks!!!! ..oh maybe I'm jumping ahead some!
  2. The end of August brought the start of school - and that meant Emily would move into the dorms for the first time, as she started her Sophomore year at Capital University.  She spent her entire Senior year of high school in a program that allowed her to get her entire first year of college completed (and it was 100% paid for, including books and parking).  So when she graduated from high school last spring, she also completed her Freshmen year of college.  What an excellent opportunity that was for her.  She has since completed her first year of dorm life and second year of college.  I'm so proud of her.  The kiddos also had a great year of school  - Sophia finished 5th grade {wowzas!}, Elijah completed 4th grade, and Ayana ended 3rd grade.  All of them had a stellar year - excellent grades, various acknowledgements along the way and much learning was had!! 
  3. After several tests and doctors visits my wonderful mom was diagnosed with Early Onset Dementia - in late August early September. It was a blessing to find out what was causing the symptoms she had been experiencing for some time.  Then in January/February we discovered that she had 3 degenerating discs in her back.  Mom just turned 70 last summer, and prior to these aliments she had been extremely healthy and prided herself in the fact that she only took a multi-vitamin each day....and that was voluntary.  It has been very hard to watch this happen.  For the most part the meds that she is on help her dementia, and we are encouraging her to keep her routine normal and still do the things she loves/wants to do...we don't/can't coddle her, she won't and shouldn't allow it.  The day will come when these things won't be a luxury anymore, and until then it's as normal as we can make it.
  4. In September I began attending a Life Group at church.  We meet on Sunday evenings, most Sundays for a couple of hours, and it is a really great time.  I am really learning to get to know each of them and I do look forward to our time together.
  5. In October my youngest sister, Kari, announced that she was engaged.  She and her fiance, John plan to get married this summer.
  6. The first Saturday in November I spent 4.5 hours taking the Certified Administrative Professionals Exam...something I had wanted to take for many, many years - and I finally did it.  After months of studying and reading, I took the hardest test in my life.  Even with 19 years of administrative experience, I still struggled and completed with only 2 min. left to spare.  My mind was fried literally.  I got lost coming home - and usually I'm extremely good with directions, and especially when my destination is home! :)   After almost 8 weeks of waiting I received the letter a day or so after Christmas, and I PASSED!!!  I was soooooo proud of myself and shocked!!  I had wanted this for so long and finally I was able to be successful and accomplish something I had so desperately wanted.  I was beginning to lose hope in accomplishing my goals and attaining dreams I had had for many years.  But this encouraged my heart.  Many weren't surprised I passed, but I was - many never even asked about the test prep or how my studying was going (only once did something ask in the entire 9 months of studying).  I don't know why that was - maybe they thought it was a given...I wasn't certain of anything until I received that letter
  7. The holiday were filled with busyness, traditions - some old, some new and a lot of joyful times.  Christmas Eve held the arrival close friends daughter - Violet...that was a special Christmas treat!
  8. Winter was cold, colder and coldest - along with snow, snowy and snowed in.  We learned phrase such as polar vortex and snow rollers.  Even winter fanatics were ready for Winter 2013-2014 to END.  It had been 20 years since temps reached as low as they did - for extended periods of time.  20 years ago - that seems like ages ago...but really 20 years was 1994 and that was the year I graduated from  high school...YIKES!!
  9. Another trip to Hocking Hills - our 5th trip to be exact.  It was a good weekend.  The weather was nice.  The food was great.  Some didn't feel so well.  Reecie girl - really struggled.  But all-in-all it was a good weekend.  Jenni, Lisa and I did a craft - to help pass the time on Saturday, and to allow Lisa to enjoy something she hadn't had much time to enjoy - since Violet's arrival.  I enjoyed some kitchen therapy...I always enjoy that no matter where I am.
  10. Springtime brought another birthday - I struggled a little, but I tried to keep that to myself.  Something I'm learning to do a lot of lately.  I wasn't overly thrilled about celebrating - but people wanted to so I let them, but I would have been fine to just let it go on by this year.  Don't get me wrong - God has blessed me in so many ways and he has graciously allowed for me to have 38 years on this earth...I don't take that lightly.  But it is very obvious that something is missing.  Someone once told me to not dwell on the situation - and I don't, they of course didn't see it that way.  I dwell in the situation...and that is completely different.
  11. At the beginning of May I was offered a new job.  I wasn't looking for a new job - I was very happy and content with my (then) current job.  But several different occurrences led me to apply for the position and within 2 weeks of applying the position was mine.  I began the new position last Tuesday.  I really enjoy it - I'm learning a lot.  My days are super busy and go very (almost at times too) fast.  I know God has a plan for me here - and my desire is to bloom where he has planted me.
  12. Next week - I'm excited to say I'll be teaching VBS.  Next week will be two years that I left the only other church I had known.  It seems like it has been longer than 2 years, and other days it feels like it was just last week.  But I LOVE my "new" church.  I'm starting to learn names and remember them with faces (that match the names).  God has really worked in my life in the last two years.  He is stretched me and molded me, and that excites me.  I look forward to working with the kids next week.  I pray I'm a vessel that I teachable, used by and for God and a reflection of God's love.

So that's where I've been.  I'm sure I've missed out on some journey's along the way, but those are the mile markers that stick out to me!

Until our paths cross again...

1 comment:

Karen said...

Meg, thank you for once again being open and honest. It helps to know how to pray for someone. Especially when you don't see you for awhile!! As I am coming up on my birthday next week and getting one step closer to 50 I, too, struggle.

You are a true blessing and I pray that this new adventure with your job will continue to open doors and let God shine through you. Maybe He will also introduce you to that "something" missing. You are a beautiful person, inside and out.

God bless,
Karen