Sunday, March 1, 2009

Work Update

Work is still a constant uncertainty these days. We seem to have meetings that update us on that fact that there is nothing new to update us on and that more updates should be available in a week or two. Great...more waiting!! However, this uncertainty has allowed me SEVERAL opportunities to share my faith with my co-workers. Being the Executive Assistant, many feel that I have the inside scoop...well this isn't true. However, it never ceases to amuse me how creative and sly people will be to ask questions or dig for answers. The words, "I find out when you find out" have become a part of my conversation...daily!! Often people start to share how worried they are and ask if I'm worried. I've decided that I'm going to take the opportunity to share my faith...so my usual response goes something like this "the uncertainty isn't an easy situation to be in and I wish this wasn't my reality. However, I personally know who is in charge, I know he will take care of me and my needs. So I'm just going to let him have control." The response back usually is, "Yeah, Mike (my boss) is a great guy and I'm sure he'll take good care of you." Then I smile and tell them, I'm not referring to Mike - rather I'm referring to God. Some have told me it's great that I have that faith, some of have just walked away and others have started to ask a few questions. This whole situation has been a great opportunity to share my testimony. I have a co-worker and a semi-friend (meaning we are very close at work, often have lunch - but rarely see each other outside of work or work functions)...her name is Laura. Laura is my age and we have many things in common...we are both single and are currently without a potential dating material, we started working at DE within two weeks of each other, we both adore our nieces and nephews, we both love our birthdays, we both love to cook and bake, and we both enjoy baseball (only a month until Opening Day!!). Laura to my knowledge is not a christian - or at least she does not have evidence in her of being a christian. In recent weeks, Laura has expressed to me how worried she is about losing her job, and how if she loses her job she will also lose her house. We have spent hours (not in row) talking about this subject, and each time I try to remain positive, hoping that I'll show her through my words and actions where my faith lays. Recently her brother and his family have started attending a church. Laura went last week for her niece & nephew's baptism and we were able to discuss some of the things that happened...including what a total immersion baptism symbolizes. I asked if she thought she'd go back...she didn't say yes, but she didn't say no. I know the Holy Spirit is working in her...she continues to come to me to find peace about everything going on in her life. If this situation will bring Laura to a saving knowledge or back to a relationship with Christ, it will be worth it. I pray daily for Laura to have a soft heart, open ears and mind, and the desire to keep coming back. I daily pray that I will have a positive attitude, the right words to say at that right time, and that I'll take the opportunities...not just with Laura.

I'm told there should be a meeting this week, that has more details and direction. I'm hoping my name has found it's way in a box on the organizational chart...and will remain there for a while. We'll see what this week holds...God is in control and nothing will come into my life that does not first pass through his hands. How wonderful it is to rest on this promise!!!

1 comment:

gretchen said...

What a great opportunity and an incredibly difficult challenge. I pray you have grace and strength over you to stand strong and to show your Father faithful...I have no doubt you will.