One of the tasks I've taken on is doing more craft projects - in the Spring time I purchased my first ever glue gun...and boy have I given it a run for it's money. I even purchased a second - just to have on hand and because it has a more narrow tip for those smaller, more confined areas needing gluing. Between You-Tube and Pinterest and my own brain, I've found many many projects to keep me going - and my list continually grows of "crafts to make". I'm starting to realize I need to create a designated location for my crafting supplies - which are much more than a glue gun these days. And I'm working on figuring out how to best organize my supplies - oh yeah, another project!
One of my most recent projects was this button letter. My cousin's wife is expecting their first baby, a little girl, in just a few weeks - and we recently had her baby shower. I love giving homemade gifts - some find them cheesy or elementary, but I find them thoughtful and unique. So as I was thinking of what I'd make for Baby Kaylin - I wanted to do something with her initial, that could be used in her nursery and one day her bedroom (possibly). I have had a bucket-o-buttons for some time now, and nothing says cuteness like buttons - what's the old saying..."as cute as a button"! So I decided I'd purchase a wooden "K", paint it pink, cover it in multi-colored girly colored buttons, cover a canvas with fabric and then place in a frame. I searched and researched various ideas and options, and decided to take a little of several options and make it my own.
First I sorted through my buttons and found the sizes and colors I wanted to use - the nursery is gray walls, black furniture and the bedding/accent pieces are going to be bright fun girly colors - pink, purple, yellow, turquoise, etc.
Here is the "K" - almost completely painted. I didn't paint the back - to help with adhering it to the fabric covered canvas.
Once the letter was painted - I let it completely dry, and then I "played around" with the buttons to position them and create the design I wanted. It took some time - but it was like putting a puzzle together, just finding which one wentn in the exact location. I had MANY more buttons sorted than needed, but I wanted to make sure I had several size and color options. Once I had the design - I then began attaching the buttons with hot glue. I tried to cover the entire top surface - that's almost impossible since the buttons are round and it's a squared/straight edge. I wanted to make sure it looked like a "K", and not a pile of hot glued buttons - in the end.
I wrapped the top and sides of the canvas with the fabric quarter, and cut off the excess. I used a staple gun to attach to ensure the material remained taut, and for extra security. The frame kit included Velcro that was attached to the back of the canvas and then lined up with Velcro inside the frame. I also used a staple gun to secure the Velcro to the canvas - just for an extra measure. It came with an adhesive strip - but I was afraid it wouldn't be enough with the natural gradual pull of gravity, as it hangs on a wall.