Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A look back at 2008

During this time of the year I love to watch “looking back over the year” shows. So I thought I’d take a minute to look back over the year that is quickly coming to a close, and reflect on the events of 2008 - highlights and not-so-highlights. As you read you will see that the Thornton/Knisley Family celebrated several milestone birthdays and passages of life!!

January:
OSU returned to the BCS National Championship game…but again, a Championship title did not return to Cbus with them. The Thornton/Knisley family still love their Buckeyes and bleed scarlet and gray...O-H-I-O!!!

February:
I “won” the title of “Most Unique Name” at the Direct Energy Superbowl Chili Cook-off…"Pepperoni Pizza Chili”.

IBC suddenly lost one of its best behind the scenes servant’s - Betty Erwin.

Jenni, Kari, the Knisley children and I spent the weekend at Deer Creek - assisting with the Children's Hospital Heme Retreat. However a kidney infection left me in bed most of Saturday.

March:
The “blizzard” of 2008 began on Friday, March 7, dumping 20.4 inches of snow, leaving C-bus paralyzed for the entire weekend...including leaving IBC’s doors closed for Sunday worship.

April:
I boarded a plane and took my first out of state business trip…Houston, TX.

IBC kicked off it’s year long 75th Anniversary Celebration with a dinner and program. Karen, Polly and I coordinated!!!

Steve, Hayden and I drove to Cleveland on a very brisk Ohio Spring evening, sat six rows from the 1st Base line, and watched the Boston Red Sox pull off a come from behind victory over the Indians…GO SOX!!!

I went into contract on my first home purchase.

May:
Ayana had her 3 year check-up and told all of us how she was a big girl now, because she did not cry during her shots!

Jenni hit her head while planting flowers and suffered a minor concussion, leaving her a little loopy and unable to drive or work for a few days.

Hayden was named 2nd Team All City in Baseball – a great accomplishment for a (then) Sophomore.

I celebrated my 32nd birthday…not a milestone, but it is my 1st most favorite day of the entire year, so it had to make the list!!!

I was voted Employee of the Month for DE's US North Mass Markets division. The prize allowed me to purchase my beautiful patio furniture!!!

I officially became a home owner on May 28th.

June:
Dad celebrated his 70th Birthday!!!

Ashley “walked the stage” becoming the third Thornton generation to graduate from Columbus West High School.

After lots of help (mainly painting and cleaning) from my family – especially Steve & my Mom, Villa de Megalicious was ready to be moved into, and an army of friends assisted with the move on June 14th!

Hayden celebrated his 16th Birthday!!

July:
Kari had a surprise “guest” arrive – sending her to the hospital and into surgery to have a kidney stone removed.

Mom celebrated her 65th Birthday!!!

I led the 7 & 8 year olds of IBC on an “Amazon Adventure” during VBS…my most favorite ministry!

Steve celebrated his 40th Birthday!

Adults and children of all ages, dressed in their red, white and blue, stood in line for up to 45 min. to pay their last respects to IBC’s beloved Roberta “Bert” Sutherland.

August:
I took First Place in the 2008 Church Picnic Dessert Contest…good Old Fashioned Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing, yum!!

For 45 minutes I was missing and didn't even know I was missing. The story is long and humorous (now), and my Mom can finally laugh about it. The family was in a panic searching for me...even calling the police and local hospitals. I had over 30 missed calls in a 25 minute window - on my cell phone alone. I realized again how much my family loves me and how important it is to NOT leave me cell phone in the car!!

Ayana joined Elijah at Pre-school, Sophia began Kindergarten and Nana Carol now had more free time during the day, so she could continue to enjoy “retired” life!

September:
Mom and I (and some other IBC friends) enjoyed “The Lion King” at the Ohio Theatre…best thing I spent my money on all year!!

Ashley passed her drivers test!!

IBC continued the 75th Anniversary celebration with a Neighborhood Carnival/Festival – teaching all of us the power of prayer!

Hurricane Ike “blew” threw C-bus leaving most of the Thornton Family (and C-bus) in the dark for several days. Steve’s family sustained the loss of power, but lost their phone, internet and cable for four days…which is worse than losing power when you have three teenagers in the house. School was closed until Friday of that week for Hayden, Emily and Sophia.

Steve & Wendy watched Ashley drive off to her first day of Cosmetology school and celebrated 20 years of marriage, all in the same week!! They celebrated their anniversary by returning to their honeymoon destination...Gatlinburg, TN.

Kari received the announcement that the almost two year “battle” was over and the papers were finally signed!!

Elijah celebrated his 5th Birthday!!

October:
Emily celebrated her 13th birthday!!

Sophia was named citizen of the month for her Kindergarten class.

I began studying for the Certified Professional Secretaries Exam - to be given May 2, 2009. Hopefully passing the exam will be part of next year's highlights!!

Jenni, Chrissy and I climbed into the bright blue Vibe and took a road trip to Clarks Summit, PA to visit Phil & Gina!!!

Kari, Steve and Wendy all received GLOWING “reviews” during their Parent Teacher meetings - always a highlight to any parent's year!!

November:
Emily’s (school) Volleyball Team closed their season with a tournament win and she made a Club team, which will begin in February.

Ashley passed her initial tests and officially "took the floor"...now working as a student in the salon/spa at Nationwide Beauty Academy.

The entire family rejoiced at the news that the lesion on Dad's vocal cord had not only not grown, but was getting smaller. PTL!!

Ashley voted in her first Presidential Election, joining all of America in the most historic election in America’s history.

I had the joy and honor of being a guest at Elijah's lunch table during the Thanksgiving Lunch/Dinner at his preschool. Mom was the guest at Ayana's table.

December:
The Thornton Family (with the addition of Craig) again played “Post Office” to the IBC family...this year sorting 2,750 Christmas cards.

In keeping with my tradition - I was able to give Eli his first “real” Bible. Ashley, Hayden, Emily and Sophia each received their "real" Bible as a Christmas gift following their 5th birthdays.

Terry came to the Children’s Christmas performance at IBC – only the second time he’s been to a service since Kari and the kids came home in 2006.

Jenni purchased a Wii for herself as a Christmas gift – it has been a real source of enjoyment for many in the family!

While each gift that was given was special and appreciated – this year my most prized gift was a cookbook my Mom and Dad found while going through some boxes in the attic. The cookbook belonged to my beloved Aunt Ho (who I referenced in a previous blog), and I will treasure this gift for many years to come!

Jenni, Kari and I attended the first ever WOL Reunion - it was a great time of seeing "old" familiar faces.

All in all 2008 was a great year for the Thornton/Knisley Family, and I pray that 2009 will bring more joy, memories and more opportunities to serve our Lord.

Happy 2009!!!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks for the memories. I am so glad I got to be a part of many of them.

Look forward to seeing more in 2009.

God Bless,
Karen

gretchen said...

What a fun year..and I am so happy for your special Christmas gift--I just love gifts like that- your parents must have been so excited to give it. Happy 2009!

Unknown said...

Megan! Hey this is actually the first time I am finding your blog...not that I was looking for a "single girls perspective" :) but is nice to read things from people I know!
Your family means so much to Gina and I and it was fun looking back over the Thornton year! Thanks!